In California school and district administrators (with the exception of superintendents) who supervise certificated employees are required to possess the Administrative Services Credential (ASC). The ASC has two levels: the Preliminary Credential and the Clear Credential. The Clear Credential must be obtained within 5 years of an administrator beginning his or her first assignment in a position requiring an administrative credential.
Additional information about each level of the ASC is available by clicking on the links on the left of this page.
Minimum requirements for participating in any option for attaining the Preliminary ASC are:
- Possession of a valid prerequisite teaching or services credential
- A minimum of three years of successful, full-time service in the public or private schools of equivalent status,
- Passage of the California Basic Educational Skills Test (CBEST).
Minimum requirements for seeking a Clear ASC are:
- Possession of a valid Preliminary ASC
- Verification of a minimum of two years of successful experience in a full-time administrative position in a public school or private school of equivalent status
- Completion of one of 5 Clear ASC program options.
ACSA provides support for those seeking to obtain the Preliminary ASC through passage of the School Leaders Licensure Assessment with the Aspiring California Educators Training. ACSA provides an approved program for the Clear ASC through the Alternative Clear Credential Program (ACCP).