The Special Education Academy addresses what you need to know to be a successful special education administrator at all levels and areas of responsibility, through a consistent academy focus will be on leadership, communication, prevention and intervention. The academy integrates the principles of organization and cultural environment, dynamics of strategic issues management, ethical and reflective leadership, analysis and development of public policy, and management of information systems and human and fiscal resources.
With prior approval from a CCTC approved Tier II program, Academy hours may be used to fulfill a portion of the ATP Practicum or fieldwork requirements for Tier II programs.
Specific themes include:
- Historical and statewide perspective of special education
- Assessment procedural safeguards, special education terminology and the IEP
- Preparation for mediation and due process hearings
- Placement/service issues, 7 procedural safeguards related to discipline
- Transition from school to career/drop-out prevention
- Curriculum and instruction for special education students
- Behavior and discipline issues
- State and federal laws affecting special education
- Advocacy for students with disabilities
- Current issues
- Multi-agency coordination
- Human resources/credentialing issues
- Educational reform inclusive of special education
- Accountability and evaluation
The academy includes 70 hours of professional development over seven weekends and meets on Fridays from 5:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m., and Saturdays from 9:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.*
*Please note that Saturday hours for this academy may vary.