ACSA’s seven-week academy for personnel administrators offers thorough training for new or aspiring personnel managers, human resources directors and personnel staff. The comprehensive curriculum also gives superintendents and other top-level district administrators an excellent legal and operational foundation for managing employees. Presentations and discussion sessions are presented by experienced personnel administrators from throughout California. Participants develop the fundamental skills required for effective school personnel management and discover the resources needed to succeed on the job within the new context of local control accountability planning and the Local Control Funding Formula (LCFF).
Specific themes include:
Personnel Department Organization
- Role of the personnel manager
- Organizing the certificated/classified personnel office
- Technology in human resource management
- Job description/reclassification/compensation
- Evaluating employees
- Staffing needs and recruitment
- Employee counseling techniques
- Employer-employee relations
- Budget, salary, benefits
- Due process
- State and federal laws and regulations
- Layoff and termination
- Troubleshooting special personnel problems
- Professional advancement opportunities
- Induction, orientation
The academy offers 70 hours of instruction over seven weekend sessions, Friday evenings, 5:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m., and Saturdays, 9:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.* The extensive course syllabus and materials provided to each participant are an exceptional resource for ongoing reference.
*Please note that Saturday hours for this academy may vary.