The California Department of Education has named 218 middle and high schools as California Distinguished Schools for their strong commitment and innovative approaches to improving student academic achievement.
“These schools have gone the extra mile to provide high-quality instruction that puts their students on the right path toward career and college,” said Superintendent of Public Instruction Tom Torlakson. “Given the enormous challenges schools have faced in recent years, it is inspiring to see this kind of success in so many schools. Our future depends on meeting the needs of every student no matter where they come from or where they live.”
The 2013 California Distinguished Schools Program directly focuses on the right of California’s students to an equitable and rigorous education, and recognizes those schools that have made progress in narrowing the academic achievement gap. Elementary and secondary schools are recognized in alternate years. For more information about the program go to www.cde.ca.gov/ta/sr/cs.
Schools earning the Distinguished School title agree to share their signature practices with other schools and become a mentor to those seeking to replicate their work. An updated searchable database of these signature practices will be available later this spring from the CDE. To view the website, go to www3.cde.ca.gov/signaturepractices/default.aspx.
The Career Technical Education Exemplary Program occurs every other year in conjunction with the Distinguished Schools’ recognition of secondary schools. The award honors schools with CTE programs that provide high-quality career technical education experiences for all students. The Distinguished Schools being recognized for their CTE programs this year are Warren High School in Downey USD and Vail Ranch Middle School in Temecula Valley USD.
Schools selected as California Distinguished Schools will be honored in May during regional award ceremonies, where Torlakson will present each school with a 2013 Distinguished School plaque and flag.
The events and awards are funded by donations from many of California’s most prominent corporations and statewide educational organizations.
The 2013 Distinguished Schools by county include:
• Alameda: Canyon Middle, Castro Valley USD; Wells Middle, Dublin USD; William Hopkins Junior High, Fremont USD; East Avenue Middle, Livermore Valley JUSD; Oakland Charter High, Oakland USD; Harvest Park Middle, Pleasanton USD.
• Calaveras: Avery Middle, Vallecito Union SD.
• Contra Costa: Campolindo High, Miramonte High, Acalanes UHSD; M. H. Stanley Middle, Lafayette ESD; Heritage High, Liberty UHSD; College Park High, Diablo View Middle, Foothill Middle, Mt. Diablo USD; Orinda Intermediate, Orinda UESD; Charlotte Wood Middle, Diablo Vista Middle, Gale Ranch Middle, Iron Horse Middle, Windemere Ranch Middle, San Ramon Valley USD.
• El Dorado: Union Mine High, El Dorado UHSD; Miller’s Hill, Latrobe SD; Edwin Markham Middle, Placerville UESD; Marina Village Middle, Pleasant Grove Middle, Rescue UESD.
• Fresno: Kastner Intermediate, Clovis USD; Design Science Early College High, Fresno USD; General Grant Middle, Kings Canyon Joint USD; Hallmark Charter, Sanger USD.
• Humboldt: Northcoast Preparatory and Performing Arts, Humboldt COE.
• Imperial: Imperial High; Imperial USD.
• Kern: Fruitvale Junior High, Fruitvale ESD; Liberty High, Kern Union HSD; Norris Middle, Norris ESD.
• Kings: Lemoore University ESD, Charter Lemoore UESD; Pioneer Middle, Pioneer UESD.
• Los Angeles: Artesia High, Martin B. Tetzlaff Middle, ABC USD; Foothills Middle, Richard Henry Dana Middle, Arcadia USD; El Roble Intermediate, Claremont USD; Warren High, Downey USD; Granada Middle, East Whittier City ESD; Glen A. Wilson High, Newton Middle, Hacienda La Puente USD; Wilder’s Preparatory Academy Charter, Inglewood USD; Alice C. Stelle Middle, Arthur E. Wright Middle, Calabasas High, Las Virgenes USD; California Academy of Mathematics and Science, Long Beach USD; International Polytechnic High, Los Angeles COE; Alliance Dr. Olga Mohan High, Community Charter Early College High, Community Charter Middle, KIPP Academy of Opportunity, Lakeview Charter High, Renaissance Arts Academy, Los Angeles USD; Rancho-Starbuck Intermediate, Lowell JSD; Clifton Middle, Monrovia USD; Arlie F. Hutchinson Middle, Norwalk-La Mirada USD; Palos Verdes High, Palos Verdes Peninsula USD; Huntington Middle, San Marino High, San Marino USD; New West Charter, SBE - New West Charter; South Pasadena Senior High, South Pasadena USD; Casimir Middle, Edward J. Richardson Middle, West High, Torrance USD; South Pointe Middle, Walnut Valley USD; Edgewood High, West Covina High, West Covina USD; Rancho Pico Junior High, Sierra Vista Junior High, William S. Hart Senior High, William S. Hart UHSD; Richard Henry Dana Middle, Wiseburn ESD.
• Marin: Miller Creek Middle, Dixie ESD; Adaline E. Kent Middle, Kentfield ESD; Hall Middle, Larkspur-Corte Madera SD; Del Mar Middle, Reed UESD; White Hill Middle, Ross Valley ESD.
• Monterey: Carmel High, Carmel Middle, Carmel USD; Monterey High, Monterey Peninsula USD; San Benancio Middle, Washington Union ESD.
• Napa: New Technology High, Napa Valley USD.
• Nevada: Nevada Union High, William & Marian Ghidotti High, Nevada JUHSD; Pleasant Valley ESD, Pleasant Valley ESD.
• Orange: Cypress High, John F. Kennedy High, Lexington Junior High, Walker Junior High, Anaheim UHSD; Bernice Ayer Middle, Capistrano USD; Fulton (Harry C.) Middle, Fountain Valley ESD; Pacifica High, Garden Grove USD; Edison High, Huntington Beach UHSD; Northwood High, Irvine USD; Laguna Beach High, Thurston Middle, Laguna Beach USD; Mesa View Middle, Ocean View SD; Cerro Villa Middle, El Rancho Charter, Villa Park High, Orange USD; El Dorado High, Yorba Linda High, Yorba Linda Middle, Placentia-Yorba Linda USD; El Toro High, Los Alisos Intermediate, Mission Viejo High, Saddleback Valley USD; Middle College High, Orange County School of the Arts, Santa Ana USD; C.E. Utt Middle, Orchard Hills, Pioneer Middle, Tustin USD.
• Placer: Robert C. Cooley Middle, Warren T. Eich Intermediate, Roseville City ESD.
• Riverside: Centennial High, El Cerrito Middle, Corona-Norco USD; Western Center Academy, Hemet USD; Shivela Middle, Murrieta Valley USD; Vail Ranch Middle, Temecula Valley USD.
• Sacramento: Natomas Charter, Natomas USD; West Campus High, Sacramento City USD; Andrew Carnegie Middle, Mira Loma High, Rio Americano High, San Juan USD.
• San Benito: Accelerated Achievement Academy, Hollister SD.
• San Bernardino: Vineyard Junior High, Alta Loma ESD; Los Osos High, Chaffey JUHSD; Robert O. Townsend Junior High, Chino Valley USD; Etiwanda Intermediate, Etiwanda ESD; Grove School, Redlands USD; Pioneer Junior High, Upland USD.
• San Diego: EJE Middle Academy, Cajon Valley USD; Aviara Oaks Middle, Carlsbad USD; Classical Academy High, Escondido UHSD; Granite Hills High, Grossmont High, Grossmont UHSD; Parkway Middle, La Mesa-Spring Valley SD; Del Norte High, Poway USD; Olive Peirce Middle, Ramona City USD; Health Sciences High, Kearny International Business, Mt. Everest Academy, San Diego USD; Carmel Valley Middle, Earl Warren Middle, San Dieguito UHSD; Bonita Vista Middle, Eastlake High, Eastlake Middle, Sweetwater UHSD; Valley Center High, Valley Center-Pauma USD; Guajome Park Academy Charter, School for Integrated Academics and Technologies , Vista USD.
• San Francisco: KIPP San Francisco Bay Academy, Lowell High, Presidio Middle, San Francisco USD.
• San Joaquin: El Portal Middle, Escalon USD; Jefferson School, Jefferson ESD; Discovery Charter, Tracy JUSD.
• San Luis Obispo: Morro Bay High, San Luis Coastal USD; Templeton High, Templeton Middle, Templeton USD.
• San Mateo: Burlingame Intermediate, Burlingame ESD; Fernando Rivera Intermediate, Jefferson ESD; Taylor Middle, Millbrae ESD; Tierra Linda Middle, San Carlos ESD; Bowditch Middle, San Mateo-Foster City SD; Menlo-Atherton High, Sequoia UHSD.
• Santa Barbara: Jonata Middle, Buellton UESD; Orcutt Junior High, Orcutt UESD.
• Santa Clara: Joaquin Miller Middle, John F. Kennedy Middle, Sam H. Lawson Middle, Warren E. Hyde Middle, Cupertino USD; KIPP San Jose Collegiate, East Side UHSD; Quimby Oak Middle, Evergreen ESD; Lynbrook High, Monta Vista High, Fremont UHSD; Ascencion Solorsano Middle, Dr. T.J. Owens Gilroy Early College, Gilroy USD; Georgina P. Blach Junior High, Los Altos ESD; Raymond J. Fisher Middle, Los Gatos UESD; Los Gatos High, Saratoga High, Los Gatos-Saratoga JUSD; Milpitas High, Rancho Milpitas Middle, Milpitas USD; Isaac Newton Graham Middle, Mountain View Whisman SD; Los Altos High, Mountain View-Los Altos USD; Bernal Intermediate, Oak Grove ESD; Redwood Middle, Saratoga UESD; Union Middle, Union ESD.
• Santa Cruz: Aptos High, Pajaro Valley USD; Scotts Valley High, Scotts Valley Middle, Scotts Valley USD.
• Shasta: Mountain View Middle, Columbia ESD; Foothill High, University Preparatory, Shasta UHSD.
• Siskiyou: Mt. Shasta High, Siskiyou UHSD.
• Solano: Elise P. Buckingham Charter Magnet High, Vacaville USD.
• Sonoma: Technology High, Cotati-Rohnert Park USD; Hillcrest Middle, Gravenstein UESD; Maria Carrillo High, Santa Rosa HSD; Orchard View, Twin Hills Charter Middle, Twin Hills UESD.
• Stanislaus: Whitmore Charter High, Ceres USD; Hughson High, Hughson USD.
• Tulare: El Diamante High, Visalia USD.
• Ventura: Century Academy, Redwood Middle, Conejo Valley USD; Chaparral Middle, Moorpark USD; Medea Creek Middle, Oak Park High, Oak Park USD; Adolfo Camarillo High, Oxnard UHSD; Buena High, Cabrillo Middle, El Camino High, Ventura USD.
• Yolo: Da Vinci Charter Academy, Davis JUSD.
• Yuba: Charter Academy for the Arts, Marysville JUSD; Wheatland Union High, Wheatland UHSD.