The goal of Advocacy in Action is to urge all ACSA members to reach out to their state legislators to build or maintain an existing relationship, and to remain in contact with their representatives year-round.
Let them know that our educational leaders can help provide context as they examine policy that affects California schools!
As always, feel free to reach out to ACSA Governmental Relations staff for advice and help via email or on Twitter at @ACSA_GR.
Need Help Getting Started?
- Reach out to your Region President or Region Vice President for Legislative Action to see if an existing team has already joined the effort.
- If no advocacy team exists....start one!
- Work with your region to develop an effort that will work locally.
- Contact to Suzanne Caffrey at if you need help connecting with your region team.
ACSA Grassroots Advocacy: Educate, Then Advocate
All ACSA members are experts in their field. When connected with legislators in your home district, remember that you are a resource to your legislator and can provide them perspective that can help them make the right decision for your district.
For more pointers and help, download our Grassroots Advocacy Toolkit.
Grassroots Advocacy Quick-Tips
- Be well informed. Do your research before you meet with your legislator - this will help you identify with them and communicate clearly.
- Understand other perspectives. Anticipate being presented with an opposing view and don't be afraid to have an indepth discussion.
- Be clear on your desired outcome. Educate, then advocate.
- Make it personal. Meet face to face whenever possible.
- Know your audience. Understand who the individual legislators are and how much influence they have in the field of education.
- Bring positivity to the table. Focus on presenting solutions and options to resolve the problem instead of focusing on the problem itself.
Legislative Action Day
Each year, education leaders throughout the state bring their regional teams to Sacramento to advocate for California’s 6.2 million students. ACSA staff, along with experts in the field, provide members with briefings and guidance on current issues in education as well as offer the tools to directly lobby the legislature. Join us to hear our legislative priorities and advocate for leadership, equity, support and investment on behalf of California’s students and educators. Learn more at www.acsa.org/legactionday.
Legislative Lunch Break
The live and interactive ACSA Legislative Lunch Break broadcasts Wednesdays at 1:00 pm on ACSA Facebook and ACSA YouTube, bringing you the latest news from the state Capitol and CDE, offering in-depth analysis on how it impacts your work. Join our conversation weekly with your questions and comments to stay informed on what's happening in California legislation.